Top Dead Center sensor is also known as Crankshaft Position sensor, Crank Angle sensor, Magnetic Speed sensor. It's known in Proton inventory as Engine Speed sensor.
A video on
aka Crankshaft Position sensor. Our type of sensor is inductive type.
YouTube - Crankshaft position sensor
Symptoms of problems related to TDC sensor.
1. Hard to start problem especially in the morning. Sometimes need many turns then can only start.
2. Second gear jerking at low RPM. ( A minor symptom that will lead to more serious hard starting No.1 and stalling No.3)
3. The engine will suddenly stall at traffic lights. Needs many turns to restart the engine.
The causes of the Problem
1. Small metal filings from the flywheel/clutch area will stick to the magnetic tip of the sensor and corrupt the signal.
2. The bleeder screw is directly above the sensor. The coolant from the bleeder could contaminate the sensor area which does not seal against the hole. After removing the sensor, you could actually see the rusty coloured flywheel/sensing teeth while peeking into the rectangular hole.
3. Loose connection of the sensor's wire socket.
How to solve the Problem
1. Claim for a new sensor from Proton if your car is still under warranty,
2. Clean the sensor.
How to locate, remove and clean the sensor.
Firstly, need to remove the stock airbox. A step by step instruction on how to remove it is shown in the link. The area we're going to work on is between the engine and battery.
Proton Savvy Owner Club :: Log in
Tools needed, a ratchet, an extension bar, 10mm socket to remove the bolts. A pocket magnet pickup comes in handy to insert the bolts in such a lack of space engine bay.
Remove the 2 big white clips fastening the small and big coolant hoses. Try locate the sensor which is under the coolant pipe and thermostat housing. Remove battery for easier access (optional).
Remove the metal bracket that's holding a wiring loom which directly obstruct the sensor. The bracket is bolted on the back of the engine block using 1 bolt.
You can pull the wire loom to work on the sensor's two bolts. Use and extention to unscrew the bolts.
Clean the sensor, especially on the magnetic tip with a clean cloth.
The rusty colour flywheel inside the hole.
How to install the new type of TDC sensor
sensor with Shunt Cable package. Pictures were contributed by fhartzli from Savoc NRU. Thanks bro!
Remove and unsheath the
Cut and strip the wires of its insulator.
Join the two pairs of wires, yellow to yellow and green to pink. Insert the protective tubes that come with the shunt cable package.
Wrap with insulator tapes. Then sheath the wires back with the corrugated tubes. Done and it's that easy.