Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Carminat SatNav Curiosity

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 13th November 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by LagunaSport16v View Post
I was always told the Renault satnav was crap, so instead of getting a gooner with it I decided without and put my money on a Tomtom instead, and very happy I did
Most current after-market sat-nav systems will wipe the floor with the CD based navigation system in the Lag 2 phase 1. Let's face it, it dates back to the Lag 1 and probably beyond - its roots in the very first Phillips 'Carin' system are still blindingly obvious. Route calculation times are poor, and re-routing often takes so long that you've missed the exit that it wants you to take. 2D mapping doesn't cut it either in this day and age - I thought 3D maps were a gimmick until I got TomTom, then I realised that they do a grand job of showing you what's up close in detail, while still letting you see a reasonable way into the distance.

The new DVD based system in the Lag 2 phase 2 is a different kettle of fish. It outclasses TomTom in almost all areas. It's not touchscreen, but it does have the best 'twiddle and click' interface I've ever come across, and of course many of the commands and destinations can be voice activated (assuming that your voice activation button works - hopefully mine is being sorted this week.) TomTom still had advantages, namely the fact that you can use it in other vehicles and the ability to add speed cameras and other downloaded POI categories. But the new Renault system beats my TomTom 700 in just about every other area, including screen size, image quality and clarity, speed of route calculation and rerouting. What's more, the hands-free phone functionality actually does a reasonable job, which is more than I could ever say for the TT.

And of course TomTom's portability is both one of its biggest assets and one of its biggest drawbacks: Having to remove the unit and all traces of the mount every time you leave the car is a royal pain, but unfortunately necessary in modern UK society if you don't want to end up with a broken window. Nobody can realistically steal the factory system without stealing the whole car.

To be honest, if I didn't already have the TomTom, I'd probably have bought a dedicated GPS speed camera warning system and been perfectly happy with that and the factory navigation. I hang onto the TT because it's handy for use in hire cars or the Clio, it often gives a useful 'second opinion' on routes, and is still handy if I ever have a hire car, or need to find the nearest KFC

For Vass: Do you still have the original factory firmware disc kicking around (the one that lets you chance the voice and other things)? If a reboot doesn't work, it might be worth reinstalling the firmware. I found the disc for my previous L2 the other day, and while I've no doubt lost it again, I'll have a dig if you need it. It's the original for the car (so I'm not trading bootleg discs here) and it's yours for free if you need it.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome