Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Carminat SatNav Curiosity

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 13th November 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
For Vass: Do you still have the original factory firmware disc kicking around (the one that lets you chance the voice and other things)? If a reboot doesn't work, it might be worth reinstalling the firmware. I found the disc for my previous L2 the other day, and while I've no doubt lost it again, I'll have a dig if you need it. It's the original for the car (so I'm not trading bootleg discs here) and it's yours for free if you need it.
The car only ever had one disk (no second one for the voices etc) and initially it wasn't supplied with TMC. I still have the original disc (if we're talking about the same one) but thanks for the offer Mr Nelson Suh! You are most kind. [Trying to think as I type... (is that multi-tasking?)... is there actually a one-step reset-to-factory-settings button anywhere on the Carm?

I recently tried TomTom One GB, Navsure Cheapie, and now bought a Nuvi 360. They are all quite a way from perfect and the first two took me to the wrong place on more than one occasion.... of course, characteristically, I ended up doubting if it was the unit or the operator (me) inputting the wrong postcodes or addresses but I decided against the first one because of that very reason, the second because the screen kept getting garbled (while the voice kept navigating correctly) and now the Nuvi is hopefully going to do the trick but I'm not as sure as I was a week ago. In fairness to the Carminat, if I don't have (because Renault didn't supply) the right discs, I can't really blame the unit and I don't really feel it would benefit anyone if I were to write to the makers again.

If you put me in front of a firing-squad and made me say honestly which I preferred, I think it might be the easy-cheap-and-cheerful Halford's own-brand Navsure (apart from the screen problem which didn't happen when I disabled all the POIs.) Oh! I forgot to mention that I had an Astra Bertone (2.2 engine) satnav before the Guna and I don't remember it giving me any problems; but that might be just my failing memory at fault.

The problem with the repeated instructions happened with both the old and the new discs. The bobbing marker and the 'advance' navigation also, so after looking in the mirror and reflecting for a couple of minutes, I don't believe that rebooting is going to cure it.

Excluding the Bertone, that's four I have experienced and they are all far from perfect... on the other hand, they are all much better than trying to read large maps (or small AtoZ books come to think of it) while driving. So I have to wait and see if my nuvi will frustrate me enough to ditch it out of the window and get done for littering.

These experiences are quite interesting so keep 'em coming if you have more to say.
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome