Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Carminat SatNav Curiosity

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 14th November 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I've had some trouble with TomTom and the postcode lookup, to the point where I no longer trust it. A couple of weeks ago, it took me to a housing estate behind the place I was supposed to be visiting, but with no access whatsoever to the site. On another occasion, it told me I needed to be on the other side of a bridge that had been closed for roadworks - the detour was a half hour drive. On getting to the other side of the bridge, the place I was supposed to be visiting wasn't there, and on phoning them I discovered that I needed to be on the side of the bridge I'd started out at. So there was an hour wasted in total.

If I'm able to speak to someone at the location prior to going and they don't have a house number (often the case with commercial premises) then I'll ask them for the street name as well as the postcode. If TT agrees with the street name I've been given, then I'll generally accept that it's going to get me there. Better still, if they're on a long road I'll just ask them for the nearest street that joins it, and use the 'navigate to junction' feature on the car's sat-nav.

I should add that I have one of the first TT 700's (I ordered it pre-release) and I know they did a major map update not long after they were released. Maybe the postcode search is more accurate on the later ones.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome