Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #226 of (permalink) Old 15th November 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Insurance Rip off And/or Conspiracy?

I got my car back today but was surprised to discover on top of my 400 excess I was required to pay 59 for a new bonnet catch! My insurance company tell me that they would not pay the cost of the bonnet catch as it was a manufacturing fault so that would've been under warranty. This confused me as this is what I'd been trying to say all along but my insurance company would not support me. They claim that they could not give this information to Renault or to me in writing because of "data protection". They tell me now I have claimed under my Insurance I can't claim under warranty. They won't give me my legal cover as Renault although a third party are a company not a person and 'they won't pay out anyway as the main damage to my car was incidental to the primary fault of the bonnet catch'

All seems a bit crazy. Insurance companies are always looking of ways to get out of things so if they truly believe it was the fault of the bonnet clip why did they agree to pay for the repairs and not at least contact Renault? Why did they not instruct the garage to contact Renault? Why did they not support me when I was saying it was the fault of Renault? Why, I believe because Egg insurance (my insurers) and Renault Insurance are underwritten by the same company UK Insurance Limited!

I find the whole thing shocking my car was less than three years old and the bonnet clip was rusting away should this happen? The AA gave me a report stating that the accident was caused by the faulty bonnet clip, Arnold Clark and my Egg insurance engineers say (but won't give me a written report) that the accident was caused by a faulty bonnet clip yet Renault continue to refuse to inspect my car. So I've been held to ransom and as I am contracted to provide a car for work I had to have it fixed. I was misled by my insurance company that I could claim from Renault as a third party.

I have since discovered I have legal cover under my home insurance so I am going to take advice from a lawyer. I am not willing to just go away as I am sure Renault and my insurers hope. I would be grateful if anyone out there can offer me any advice or others with a similar experience could contact me.

I would like to thank Brigatti for his help and the info he has provided but if anyone else out there that this is happened to could contact me with when, where and what action was taken when it happened to them I would be very grateful.
Currently in Meesh's garage:
2003 Renault Clio Billabong
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome