Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Major Modus Moan

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 15th November 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by davesss View Post
It does not need a ballast cut out switch to change xenon bulbs, it is just renault playing safe.
I have done one of mine, there is no danger from the high voltage if you double check the headlights are switched off or the battery disconnected.
Still have to take the bumper off though.
I'm thinking more from the point of view of making it completely idiot proof. Remember we live in a society where people have to be protected from themselves. I'm surprised you're still allowed to do your own car maintenance, what with all the nasty things that could potentially happen.

Fair enough, working on powered-up Xenons is probably about as sensible as trying to change a fan belt with the engine running. But some idiot will try it one of these days, and when they get hurt, they'll probably sue.

It's funny, but previously acceptable risks remain acceptable, whereas new risks aren't. Your chances of shocking yourself while changing a Xenon bulb are probably much lower than your chances of burning yourself while changing a halogen because you didn't wait long enough for it to cool.

Or maybe that's why they're making them near impossible to change. If it takes half an hour to get to the bulb, it should be plenty cool enough by then
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome