Join Date: Apr 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Another bonnet stuck..
No joy at scrapyard so decided to dismantle the lock..removed both grill panels and unbolted the lock, unhooked the cable and removed item to workbench.
It was stuck solid but plenty of scraping and WD40 eventually freed it, so now it's moving fine...but...the snag now is the cable is connected to the moving lever arm (which opens the lock) via a small plastic block which sits in a hole on the lever while the cable slides through it and pulls the end plug to move the lever...but this was broken...the lug which should seat in the lever hole had snapped.
So that seems to be a result of pulling too hard on the cable to free the lock, it snapped rather than moving the lever.
Now I have to figure out a way of attaching the cable to the lever so that when the release catch is pulled the cable pulls this lever to open the lock.
I am now thinking how to do this so that the end lug of the cable when pulled will mate up against this whatever it is, and then the lever will open.
I managed to hammer the lock stay straight so when fixed the lock stay will click into place and lock the bonnet...the metal used is quite strong and I was worried I would break it, but I didn't.
nearly there..and I'm thinking a small bolt with a nut and two 1/2 inch washers might do the trick....
Currently in jacko1950's garage:
1999 T reg 1.6 sport. 8v. (K7M)