Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna I - Phase 2 - Electronics - Courtesy light problem and solution

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 13th October 2005 Thread Starter
Dark Jupiter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Renault Laguna I - Phase 2 - Electronics - Courtesy light problem and solution

The front courtesy light would intermittently stay on after entering the car, starting up and driving off (It is supposed to go off when the engine is started or 15 to 20 seconds after the doors are closed and the car is stationary with the engine off or immediately when the car is locked from the remote), or it would stay on when the car was locked from the remote.
I discovered that opening and slamming the front passenger door cured this problem, however it would return the next time the passenger door was opened and closed.

I suspected the cherry micro switch in the lock was sticking as I have encountered problems with switch on the rear door before (How to troubleshoot 99' Laguna Estate central locking).
I initially removed the door panel and looked under the membrane. The electric window mechanism obscures the lock and would have to be removed first to access the lock with any degree of ease. I therefore replaced the panel and concentrated on the visible parts of the lock mechanism on the end of the door.

The lubricating grease was very old and dry. I cleaned out any of the gunk and grease on the lock and sprayed WD40 into the nooks and crannies of the mechanism. I surmised that the cherry micro switch was sticking in this old grease. The WD40 will dissolve the old grease (There is a trade off here between the age of the car, difficult access and the use of oil over grease) I opened and closed the mechanism about 20 times to work the WD40 into all parts of the lock and then closed the door to see if the light went off. I tested this about 10 times and each time after approximately 20 seconds the light went off.

Job done.

5 Lastest Threads by Dark Jupiter
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna I Phase II Heated seats Interiors bonedavid 1 1565 21st October 2006 01:07 PM
Wiring Additional Headlights Electronics Horatio 1 1631 21st October 2005 07:35 PM
Central locking affected by cold weather? Electronics Shaun wall 28 7935 17th October 2005 08:18 PM
Renault Laguna I - Phase 2 - Interiors - How to... Laguna geochr 6 9703 14th October 2005 09:30 PM
Can your floor mats look like new? Interiors Garvey69 3 1953 13th October 2005 10:45 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome