Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Common problem - breaks squealing

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 17th November 2006
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Copper slip is no longer an acceptable substance to put on the back of brake pads....

You must use grease that is specially designed to do the job.......If copper grease is brought in to contact with the friction face of the pad,then it can cause vibrations and poor braking effort.If the proper product is used,then this burns off of the pad face and ceases to be a problem.I had used copper slip for years before I was told this(by a person involved with the manufacture of pads,not a BS merchant) and I think you'll find that most brake companies will void any warranty you might have if there is any evidence of copper slip being used.

I would definately agree with using performance pads to eliminate brake squeal though,but the trouble is with some of them is that they don't reach their optimum performance until they are very hot,something that they won't do in normal driving circumstances.It's more to do with the actual ingredients used in the pad friction material rather than the dust created.

Pads containing asbestos used to squeal at times,and a dose of grease on the backs of them used to sort it out as the squeal was caused by the reaction between the pads and the caliper/piston.Now asbestos is banned,the squeal is caused by a reaction between the pad and the disc,which is much more difficult to remedy.Sometimes chaffering the leading edges of the pads helps,but other times it is just the make up of the pad itself.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome