Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Teething problems with recently purchased coupe

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th November 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Teething problems with recently purchased coupe

Hi folks, im told people on here can be pretty helpful so I'm on to pick yer brains!
Im a skint student who a few weeks ago bought a 98 Megane Coupe privately and have had a small problem with the the remote locking being tempramental!
I have today changed the battery in the key fob and now the damn thing wont activate the central locking at all (altho the wee red light still lights when button pressed)!
Worse news was that when i opened the door manually with the key and tried to start the car, it wont start and im assuming this is to do with the immobiliser.
I was not amused when I rang my local main dealer who basically said i would probably need a new key at about 120 inc vat for new key and programming it (and will also take 7-10 days - without a car!!).
Am i being taken for a fool or is there an easier way to sort this? Ie: can immobiliser be switched off? Can my own key be reprogrammed again to work? Can I do this or will my local dealer have to do it?
Any advice will be much appreciated!
Please help!
p.s. i only got one key with the car!

Chris (Newbie)
Currently in chris1megane's garage:
98 Ren Megane Coupe
  5 Lastest Threads by chris1megane
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
lieing temperature gauge in megane Electronics hondo 9 4101 22nd January 2007 11:35 AM
help on changing a megane gearknob??? Interiors chris1megane 4 1636 4th January 2007 11:08 AM
Megane Gearknob Interiors davebee 1 1501 28th November 2006 11:59 AM
megane immobiliser problem Electronics superbiatch 8 3911 19th November 2006 08:43 PM
Teething problems with recently purchased coupe Cars & motoring chris1megane 3 1096 18th November 2006 12:34 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome