View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 18th November 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
You'll need at least three separate components from the original system:
The display
The DIN-E control panel
The computer that goes in the bottom of the glove box (preferably complete with mounts.)

You may also need
A GPS antenna with the correct plug on it (sorry, I don't know what the plug is called.)
A replacement glove box lining (the one for non-navigation equipped models may not have the space for the CD reader. I haven't seen one to check.)
Wiring looms (I don't know whether the car is pre-wired for navigation or not. Knowning Renault, I doubt it.)

I believe the reader takes its speed input from the CAN bus, so you would need to hook it into the bus somewhere. I don't know whether the wiring looms are all there as standard, or whether you'd have to construct your own.

Being realistic, the only benefits of the factory system are:
1) It looks nice (i.e. doesn't clutter the dash.)
2) It's difficult to steal.

In every other respect, just about any of the current range of personal navigation devices will wipe the floor with the Renault system. As a bonus, you'll be able to use them in other vehicles and keep them if you ever sell the car. You can put your own points of interest on there (including speed camera warnings) and you'll get good quality 3D mapping on all but the cheapest of units.

If you have the heat reflective windscreen (and you probably do) then make sure you get a system that is not affected by it. The later ones with the SirfStarIII chipset have no problems, but the earlier SirfStarII can't see through it at all.

I'm not really clued up on anything outside of the TomTom range, but the Rider, One, 510, 710 and 910 should all work fine with the reflective screen. The earlier Classic, 300, 500 and 700 will either require an external or re-radiating antenna or you'll have to put them right next to the rear view mirror (which stops you from using your sun visor.)
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome