Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - need to check breaks on the back

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 27th August 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: need to check breaks on the back

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
The rear brakes you seem to describe are known as drum brakes and the part you are trying to remove is the drum.

I mean no offence but if you neither have the tools or experience of working at these type of brakes I would respectfully suggest you seek advice either from a professional outlet or a friend who has experience.

Brakes are a vital safety component of your car and like best friends you miss them most when they ain't there. Plus you have a duty of care to your passengers and other road users.
i was NOT going to remove the brake, i just needed to know how much was left on them, i do know some stuff about how to fix a car, but i only know what i have seen other do. i was in a bit of a hurry before so i couldn't think of the word ''drum'', but yes you are right in thinking its the drum brakes. i wanted to get the drum off (yes with handbrake off and just in gear) and check how much brake was left on it and give the drum a good clean (with sand paper) as when i was hammering at it, loads of black crap was coming out of it.

on every other car i have done this with i have never had to take out the center nut (where the Greece goes, just get a hammer, bang it towards you slightly and pull it and it comes off.

and Thank You BobbyDog i didn't know the nut needed replacing afterwards, the nut and the little dish thing around it seems pretty dry, so i think it also need greasing, was told to buy copper grease by my granddad.

I NEED TO check how much brake is left on it has when i am breaking it sometimes sounds like it is grinding at the back (like metal against metal) i do have some tools, but i am jobless and only on job seekers, sop i cant afford many tools, i have a socket set, but the biggest socket i have it just a little bit small lol.

when ever i do ANY work on the car i always give it a test drive BY MYSELF 1st, drive it to a quiet road, do emergency brake and stuff and give it a good run so i can check for any vibration and stuff in the steering.
Currently in Mike02849's garage:
X reg 2001 Renault Megane Expresion 1.4
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome