Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scratch

Thread: Scratch
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 20th November 2006
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
This again depends on how bad the scratch is (i.e. if it has dentned the metal, or wider than a pin, you will need a bodyshop & probably go through your insurance), but if none of the above apply, then a touch-up kit should be fine. Just don't use the brush provided (it carries too much paint, any will end up EVERYWHERE), what I use when carrying out repairs is the opened up end of a paper clip to apply small amounts of paint (usually what's on the brush after shaking the paint stick), and to work my way along the scratch. Leave it for a couple of days, and use a light rubbing compound & wax polish to blend it in. Don't rub it to aggressively, as you may remove more than you intended to - you want the repair area kept as small as possible (the laqcuer may not then be needed - as it can be a bit messy to apply). I am a professional SMART repairer, and that is one of my repair methods which can be done by the owner at home. Hope that helps, Paul.
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome