Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Fitting a new stereo to the Espace

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 20th November 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
First off, check that the ISO plugs are actually there. One possibility is that the previous owner has chopped them out when fitting an after-market stereo, and that they've decided to keep the stereo when selling the car.

If they're there, then you should be able to just plug in another unit with ISO connectors. But be aware that Renault is one of several manufacturers that doesn't stick correctly to the ISO standard - the permanent (memory) and ignition switched feeds are actually swapped over compared with the official standard. Depending on which unit you buy, this might cause any one of a number of undesired effects, including the unit staying on all the time, or ejecting the disc and/or losing the memory every time you turn off the ignition.

This is a common problem, so I'd expect most stereo manufacturers to cater for this on their units. There should be something in the instructions to tell you how to deal with the reversal of these two connections.

The 6 speaker system almost certainly refers to separate speakers for different frequency ranges (commonly referred to as 'woofers and tweeters') on two of the channels, probably the fronts. I'd be surprised if the car expects anything other than a 4 channel input,.

I'm not even sure how you'd go about wiring in the extra two channels via ISO because I don't think there's support for more than four in the wiring specs.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome