Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 1 electrical problems

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th November 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Clio 1 electrical problems

Hi friends,
I'm a Renault fan of old, but a newcomer to Renault Forum.
I have a misbehavin' Clio 1 (Phase 3, 1997) 1.4S Maxim with only 40K+ on the clock, which suddenly flattened its battery without warning a couple of weeks ago - flat, flat, flat within a half an hour or so of leaving it in good health. No smoke, no theatricals, just flat after I'd plip'd it immobile. Battery at least four years old, but never any trouble. Diagnosis - new battery needed, so I took the plunge and my local friendly mechanic checked that there was no 'unusual' discharge to kill the new one. Everything fine until last weekend, when, after three days at rest, same problem - flat battery (and how, almost no lights on dash). Charged battery up (off car), replaced it and off we went to said mechanic, who checked - with same results, including okay alternator charging, pointing to intermitent electronic gremlin somewhere. Boot light permanently 'on' possibility also checked - no problem. All dashboard lights go out when engine runs and no suspicious smoke or sparks anywhere. Suspect dodgy electronics - immobiliser or the dreaded ECU . Currently disconnecting the negative battery terminal upon leaving the car to avoid flat battery syndrome, but would appeciate any advice/history from similar sufferers, before I go quietly mad and take a hammer to this faithful servant... Thanks in advance.
Currently in Renomane's garage:
1997 Renault Clio 1.4S Maxim
  5 Lastest Threads by Renomane
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio 1 electrical problems Electronics chris m 4 1294 20th November 2006 04:13 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome