Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hi speed cars..useable?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 30th August 2013 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Hi speed cars..useable?

I dont mean hi performance.

If a car has great acceleration,instant "go" in any gear or even has to be revved like crazy to get good acceleration ,ok

Back when I first started looking at machines Id like (preteen ) a rickman zr seemed to be a no brainer..160+ top speed and accel better than any "supercar"

Over time riding in the rain, being a "ton up" boy(without a fairing) and the disadvantages of motorcycles and dating became more obvious.

but what about cars and their top speed in the real world.
Forget about yer veyron type..special key to set the car up,the factory being able to track you by satellite,relying on the car to run out of fuel at max speed before the tyres disintegrate etc.

Most fast cars now seem to have the 155mph speed limiter.Boooo you say.. well yeh maybe.

When do we actually get to go that fast(even if we could), and would we want to.
nb I dont care about the fuel consumption, for the purposes of the q.

Ill use the phrase "private track" as opposed to public road and disregard autobahns ftm.

On a private track the fastest indicated speed in a car Ive ever gone is 130 mph.I dont have any penalty points either but am never below the speed limit,sort of a "max you can get away with",possibly like a lot of people?

Probably a lot of fast cars can be delimited,but is it safe?
German ones Id trust ..cos of their tough home mot and oem sanctioned 200 mph special editions but other makes.. not too sure.

Even then,does anyone use that hi speed cabability for continuous use(outside of Germany).

Like If I had a car genuinely capable of 155(limited) I think Id go for it ,once, on a stretch of "private track" I was well aquainted with n thas about it.

Other than that anyway maybe its different in UK ,Ive never seen anyone going over 120 day or night,blips up to 120 thatd be.Long term cruising more like a max of 100.
Thats most likely human nature and speed checks etc,must be nothing more annoying than going past at 120 to have the passee seing you stopped, fishing for your driving lic a couple of miles down the road.

Here(Ireland)as Ive been looking into such things
Take it that on average a 3.0l+ car will cost you 2000 pa in road tax. a 6.0l car would cost the same thing.
A genuinely 155 mph capable car with commensurate pdg accel,say sub 6.0 sec 0-60 with trendy good emmision figures could be as low as 1000 pa.gee aint we the lucky ones.

after all that , I suppose what Im really wondering is do UK members ever see people regularly 150mph or over even tho the max motorway limit is lower than here?
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
  5 Lastest Threads by coup
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Cheese factory explosion in France Jokes & funny stuff coup 0 187 6th July 2016 07:48 AM
Meg 3 fuel flap Electronics A55ii 4 209 1st July 2016 09:11 AM
conflict resolution, zohan method YouTube coup 0 249 8th March 2016 08:26 PM
Our Babs..sorry I missed a couple of o's Jokes & funny stuff Dancingdad 4 310 2nd March 2016 10:12 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome