Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace 3 III rear disc removal?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st August 2013 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Espace 3 III rear disc removal?

I don't seem to be able to find any info on the Mk3 - plenty on 2 and 4!? Are the Mk 3's rear discs not usually a problem?

Anyhow.... I hate rear discs!!... Absolutely stupid idea! Are they cheaper to manufacture, or something?

Does the Mk3 have a 'top hat' type brake with internal shoes, or do you simply have to lift the caliper away from the disc? Is there anything more holding the disc on the hub than the wheel bolts?

I don't use the Grand Espace much, but we just used it for 3,000 miles, in one month, across Europe - down mountains, 100+ on the autobahns. I thought this'd be plenty to clean up the discs. But, nope, the pads still haven't been touching the rear disc rust at the edges. Phah!

I'd like to ask to understand if there are any complications in removing the discs on the Mk3 Grand, but also, in general, what should one do about rear discs!?!? Is it an idea to remove the wheels every now and again, and sand the discs off, or remove the discs and do that, or otherwise get a rotary sander on them?

IS there a good way to preserve rear discs with a minimum effort, or is it easier just to wait until they fail the MOT and then get a new set? How about replacing the pads every year or two, so that the pads don't take up the profile of the rust, and so are forced to clean it? Any advice. I'm fed up with dealing with rear discs on low-mileage cars, and want to use some technique to ensure I don't have problems again with this, or my other cars, as best I can with the minimum of effort.

...Convert them to drums? Ah! That is the ideal! Unfortunately, that is never possible these days!
Currently in donald68's garage:
Grand Espace 3 16v Auto, Scenic Dti Auto & Fluence ZE
  5 Lastest Threads by donald68
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Broken bleed nipples and caliper replacements. Brakes/Hubs donald68 2 905 26th July 2014 02:00 PM
Espace III 3 exhaust manifold suspect leaks /... Exhausts donald68 2 1094 29th June 2014 11:38 AM
Espace 3, not unlocking on fob? Electronics classified 2 985 26th December 2013 03:47 PM
Espace 3 III rear disc removal? Brakes/Hubs donald68 1 971 31st August 2013 03:12 PM
DP0 Auto ATF oil change, Scenic dTi. Transmissions scenic55 3 3598 3rd March 2013 06:29 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome