Join Date: Sep 2005
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Thanked 145 Times in 126 Posts
Today I fitted new headlamp washers and (hopefully) repaired my faulty right xenon headlight.
One of the washers was staying up after spraying the headlight, no amount of silicone grease or wd40 would cure this. They are now working perfectly after fitting a new Renault kit.
My right Xenon headlamp would stop working after driving in very heavy rain but after a couple of dry days would work normally, this went on for quite awhile. After reading one of the above posts I decided to waterproof it using the method Franze recommended in one of the posts above, sealing the ballast with silicone sealant. It is working now so I will just have to wait and see if it works next time we get heavy rain. (have a look at Franze's post)
I cannot understand why the water did not ruin the ballast or cause a short.
In the photo the headlamp has been removed and is upside down with the ballast removed from under the headlamp. You can see two tidemarks where, when it is on the car the right way up the water level was sitting it must have found it's way into the ballast through the seam and stopping the Xenon igniting then after awhile dried out and worked ok.
Following the instructions that Franze has posted made it quite easy to remove and re-fit the bumper to get access to the ballast and H/L washers.
I did not receive any 30,000 volt shocks! just double check the headlights are not switched on when doing this.
Currently in davesss's garage:
2002 Laguna Sports Tourer 1.8 Dynamique Moondust VF1KGOB, Fiat Siecento Micheal Schumaker, Kawasaki KLE M/Cycle and a cheap Mountain Bike.