I had two problems with the cigar lighter. Firstly it did not operate (heat up) and secondly the light was not working. I explain how I resolved both problems here. As the job is already done I unfortunately have no pictures to add. It is quite ironic to post this as I do not smoke!
I have attached a simple repair guide from a "Laguna Repair Manual". Which one I do not know as I found it on the web and it has no name?
1. Remove the ashtray.
2. Remove the two screws located on the top plastic bar.
3. Pull back the gear stick collar. It is just clipped into the console with four clips and pulls up easily.
4. Gently coax out the whole unit where the ashtray was housed.
5. There are two electrical connecters on the back.
A. A small single wire to the light.
B. Either a two or three wire connecter that fits onto the two pins underneath the lighter. No need to worry about remembering which one is which and which way they connect as the connectors will only fit one way.
6. THE DIFFICULT BIT. Removing the cigar lighter body. The lighter comprises of two main parts. The outer yellow plastic cup and the metal liner. Holding the whole plastic console panel. Push the whole lighter from behind outwards whilst releasing the two lugs (inside front) with a small screw driver. The small collar on the yellow plastic unit should now have passed out of the console unit and the whole assembly can be removed at an angle. (Watch your fingers as I lost some skin here).
7. There is a small black plastic hood that covers the bulb. Remove this and you will find a 12v 1.2w bulb. This is a bit fiddly to pull up and out. Once you have done so it can be replaced quite easily. I paid about 3 Euros for a packet of two bulbs.
If that is the only problem then reassemble the lighter unit. Test it before reinstalling it.
If the lighter does not work in my case when pressed in it popped straight back out without heating.
There is a bimetallic clip (U SHAPED) in the bottom of the lighter. When the lighter heating
is pushed in it is seized by this clip. The heating
is held in situ until the
heats sufficiently to cause the metal clip to expand and release the
and it pops out ready to use.
Over time the bi-metallic clip had its edges pushed outwards and therefore lost its ability to grip. I simply forced these in (small screw driver) a millimetre or two on either side until the bi-metallic clip caught and held the lighter
. I imagine this can be done without removing the lighter from the console element, however I would strongly recommend removing the ashtray console element from the main console and disconnecting all electrical feeds before working on this. Once again test it before reinstalling it.
Hope this helps someone.