Here are said, promised photos!
Here is a good representation of what they looked like:
I then proceeded to use 400-600-800-1500-2000-2500 wet and dry paper to get the lights incredibly smooth like this (I left the final sanding lines horizontal to prevent the clear coat from running) :
The car was then protected from the imminent clear coat!
Before applying the clear coat, I removed any grease/dust from the lights using isopropyl alcohol, or you can use paint preparation wipes.
The clear coat was applied (three coats).
The day after:
Though I did make a mistake, upon removing the masking tape some o the adhesive became a little stubborn. I used a dish sponge to try to lightly remove it. Bad baaaad idea. I now have very neat fading around the lights.
Hopefully nothing a bit of Maguires ultimate compound, Polish and liquid wax won't sort out... (A £60 mistake
Hopefully this helps you all