Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Switching oil types

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th October 2005
Exclamation Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Switching oil types

With all the discussions about the dCi turbo problems, this may spark some discussion. I can't, unfortunately, reveal the source:
I had received a couple of communications recently about Mobil 1 0W-40 being used by Renault dealers in place of Elf semi-synthetic. This caused me immediate concern as in both cases the owners were of Renault 1.9dCi-engined cars and had suffered similar turbo /engine failures. It is quite extraordinary that a company with Renault's technical expertise should not realise that by switching engines that had been using a semi-synthetic to a 100% synthetic oil like Mobil 1 0W-40 would result in the new oil acting as a flushing agent!

Indeed I am happy that you concur that there should be a thorough flushing of the engine between the oil change. How a dealer is going to get round this I don't know because the usual 10-15 minute flush and drain with a flushing agent is not going to work and you are obviously correct that there should be at least a further 48 hour period before a second draining.
Very interesting!

Last edited by selwonk; 21st October 2005 at 10:19 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome