Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New Car - Lease it or Buy it?

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 15th September 2013
flying clutchman
Diamond member
Nominated 2 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: New Car - Lease it or Buy it?

Originally Posted by Blue Triangle View Post
Just a small point to bear in mind.

I leased a car several years ago - part of a company opt out deal so I thought they're paying, I'm having a fancy car!

3 years later the car goes back, gets inspected and I get a bill for almost 2grand to put it back to 'show room' condition!!

Basically 100k miles in and around the London area had done no favours to the wheels, bumpers and mirrors, not forgetting stone chips in bonnets and lights etc.

I call that a 'hidden' cost but bear in mind the leasing companies are very selective in the condition that it goes back in.

I'm back on the company car scheme for obvious reasons!!!! I may not have a fancy Merc anymore but I'll not be paying for every stone chip either!

This is a very important point. My last car (an alfa brera I could never have afforded to buy) needed to have the wheels refurbished and small back spoiler repainted. It cost me just under 300 all in. The car went back with no surcharges. If you dont have wheels in perfect condition they will charge you for new wheels, even though they sell the car as-is. It's a way of making extra money like ryanair do, charging you for things you don't expect.
Currently in flying clutchman's garage:
Kangoo 1.5 dci, VW Golf 2.0gtd cabrio
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome