Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - its going to get c-c-cold !!!!!!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th October 2005 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Exclamation its going to get c-c-cold !!!!!!

Every year I look out of my window and see the snow piled up on the lawn. I see the icicles hanging down from the roof and the wind blowing. I look at the thermometer hanging out there and it says it's 8 below zero. As I sit and look at this winter wonderland I can't help but think.... should I check my car for winter today. Then I say to myself, "Nah, it's too bloody cold out..i'll do it tommorrow."

This year it's going to be different. I'm going to winterize my car today.

Okay, where do we start? The first thing to check is the anti-freeze. Most anti-freezes are an ethylene glycol based fluid that has a low freezing point when mixed with water and a high boiling point. For this reason it makes an excellent coolant for our vehicles. Most times it is a nice bright green color, but it can be either black or red.

Does it need to be changed? Well, if you didn't change it last winter, you need to change it this winter. Anti-freeze should be changed every two years or 30,000 miles whichever comes first. In addition to ethylene glycol , anti-freeze has other chemicals that lubricate the water pump and inhibits corrosion in the engine. These chemicals wear out and need to be replaced.

Next is the motor oil . Most manufacturers have a summer and winter grade oil recommendations. Check your vehicle owners' manual for the recommended winter grade oil and change the oil to that grade. Winter grade oil is a lighter weight to help make cold weather starts easier. Naturally, you need to change the oil filter as well.

Now we need to look at the wipers and washers. If you have ever driven on a road that has had a lot of salt dumped on it you will know that a good set of wiper blades and a working windshield washer is essential. It takes about 10 seconds for the spray from the car in front of you to totally cover your windshield. Make sure your washers are in good working order and filled with washer solvent. Most washer solvents are good to about 10 below zero. For most parts of the country this is good enough. For those of us who live in the real cold, we need something that goes a little lower.

Chances are you haven't changed your wiper blades in a while. Check them now and replace if needed...we all need to see the road in front and good wipers are essential.

Have the battery and charging system tested. A weak battery or alternator may get you by in the summer, but they will not handle cold weather when you need extra amps to start a cold engine.

Now for the engine itself. The lower the temperature, the harder it is for the fuel to ignite when starting. If you haven't had a tune-up in a while, now is the time to get one. With a fresh set of spark plugs and new distributor cap, rotor and ignition wires as needed, your chances of your car starting without flooding greatly improve. Look at the belts and hoses as well. Winter driving puts an extra-added strain on the engine. It's one thing to be stuck with a broken belt when it's sunny and 80 degrees out, but a different thing all together when it's -10 degrees and snowing.

lastly...CHECK YOUR TYRES...ensure tread is above 1.6mm (legal) but if you can , go no lower than 2mm.

Prepare for the a truck driver who was stuck on the m11 for 6 hours two years ago i can testify the need to be prepared. if you can , keep the following in your boot...
2..fully charged torch
3..if you can , take a thermos of hot coffee/tea and some biscuits
4..spare socks/coats/shoes
5..A fuel can with spare fuel..only use correct type of container and seal tightly.

If you have a mobile phone invest in a car charger.

Currently in bonedavid's garage:
women wild
  5 Lastest Threads by bonedavid
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome