Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - its going to get c-c-cold !!!!!!

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 20th October 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by bonedavid
Next is the motor oil. Most manufacturers have a summer and winter grade oil recommendations. Check your vehicle owners' manual for the recommended winter grade oil and change the oil to that grade. Winter grade oil is a lighter weight to help make cold weather starts easier. Naturally, you need to change the oil filter as well.
You shouldn't need to change the oil unless you live in a particularly severe climate. I think most Renaults (excluding the sporty models) can use 10w40 all year round in the UK climate, but double-check with your handbook first.

Back in the old days, it made a big difference, but modern oils don't thin out as much with heat as they used to. It's why there are now two numbers in most oil grades, separated by the letter 'w'. In very simplistic terms, it means that a 10w40 oil it behaves like a 10 grade (thin) oil in winter and a 40 grade (thicker) oil in summer.

To illustrate it properly, you'd probably have to draw a graph - the 10w40 oil still thins out as it gets warmer, but the gradient is nowhere near as steep as for a single grade oil . So if you have 10w40 and 20 grade oils cold, the 20 grade will be thicker than the 10w40. Warm them both up to running temperature, and the 20 grade will be thinner than the 10w40.

I hope this makes sense. I can't work out how to explain it any better.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome