Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Intrested in a second hand laguna - should I stay clear?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 21st September 2013
Banned User
Curveball Champion
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 10
Thanked 3,511 Times in 2,879 Posts
Re: Intrested in a second hand laguna - should I stay clear?

Originally Posted by MrDJ View Post

Reading up though it seems the turbo can go at anytime after 100k which will more then likely write off the engine as well?
Do the meganes suffer the same problems?
The 2.2 dCi lag that I had was about 9 months when I took delivery, the turbo had to be replaced @ 16k miles it didn't even make it through to the first planned service, fortunately it went in peace, I wasn't even aware that it was on the road to expiry, what was fortunate my local Renault garage spotted there was trouble brewing & changed the turbo FOC.

What really peeved me off big time was I fully understand (almost) how turbo 's are lubricated & therefore I used to drive the car accordingly. Avoiding high revs when the engine is cold & hot shut downs, I can only conclude the damage was done by the first owner in the prior 9 months before I purchased the damned thing.

TBH it was a lovely car to drive & very comfortable too with loads of space, but if RUK still made them, I'd only buy one from brand new.

The same applies to the 1.9 Megane

It all depends if & whether / if any prior owner had driven the car with care during cold starts & hot shut downs, it's a bit of a lottery I'm afraid.
Currently in hondo's garage:
1.6 Valve-Matic SR. Red hot, toasty feet.

Last edited by hondo; 21st September 2013 at 10:21 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome