Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - its going to get c-c-cold !!!!!!

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 20th October 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
It's certainly not unusual for the passes over the Pennines to end up closed due to snow in winter. The M62 usually manages to stay open, but didn't a few years ago - what's more, once it had blocked up with cars, the snow ploughs couldn't even get up there to clear it. I think there was a similar (much more recent) incident 'down south' (M11?) And it's about par for the course in parts of Scotland.

I carry a couple of foil emergency blankets in the glovebox. They're small enough to be pocket sized but (hopefully) warm enough to keep you alive if you ever get stuck in a snowdrift. I also used to carry some of those Nescafe 'instant heat' coffee cans, though I recently turfed the remainder out, seeing as the expiry date was 2002 and I reasoned that food poisoning wasn't necessarily preferable to hypothermia. On the mobile phone stakes, I heard a rumour that modern phones will make emergency calls on any network, but I'm not entirely convinced. I tend to carry two mobiles on different networks anyway. If you really want to play it safe, then it might be worth having a 'pay per use' SIM card for every network - they're only about a fiver each (sometimes cheaper, and occasionally even free.) Of course you need a mobile that isn't locked to a specific network.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome