Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Changing pads and found a problem with electronic parking brake

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 23rd September 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Changing pads and found a problem with electronic parking brake

I've got three questions that have come about from trying to change the rear discs and pads on my MK2 Scenic.

I've noticed for a while that the MPG on the car is very poor and that the O/S rear alloy was covered in a lot of brake dust compared to the N/S. They are the original discs and pads from getting the car from new in 2006 (low yearly mileage) so I decided to replace them. When I jacked the car up I could not spin the rear O/S wheel by hand - is was locked up. The N\S spun freely without issue. Whilst dismantling the brakes I noticed that there was no spring on the O/S calliper to return the electric parking brake cable to the unlocked position and I reckon this is why the wheel has been stiff to move.

I phoned the dealership up and queried the spring as I can't find it listed as a part anywhere or even in any of the dialogy schematics. The guy checked some other cars in the garage and said they didn't have any springs on their callipers and said that I probably shouldn't have any fitted. My O/S calliper has one fitted and it releases the wheel when the brake is off. He then said that maybe only one side should have it fitted.

Q1) Should I have two springs fitted. I'm guessing the answer is yes and that it can't be purchased as a part so I will probably have to bodge something together but looking for a definitive answer to this?

Q2) How can I get some slack back on the cable as it has been wound back further than it probably would normally go - can I just yank it with pliers without damaging the internals?

Q3) I noticed that there are little flat metal clips on the pads where they sit on the calliper (the bit you would normally put copper grease on). I didn't get new ones with the pads - am I supposed to use them again or throw them away and use copper grease like any other car?

Any advice for any of the questions would be much appreciated.

PS: If your going to replace your rear discs check the condition of the lower carrier bolts first. Mine were very poor and stripped when trying to remove them. I phoned several Renault garages nearby and non of them had the bolts (not sure whether this was through high turnover or not common part) and they had to be ordered in which meant this car is out of service for a few days If I had known this before hand I would have ordered them first before stripping the brakes back.
Currently in Incubus1980's garage:
1.9 SAAB 9-3 Vector & 2006 Megane Scenic
  5 Lastest Threads by Incubus1980
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Scenic II Handbrake Failing? Brakes/Hubs Nottnoc 9 1375 7th October 2014 09:40 AM
Change coolant on 2006 Scenic Heating & cooling hondo 7 3593 3rd October 2013 11:53 AM
Changing pads and found a problem with electronic... Brakes/Hubs Incubus1980 4 1437 23rd September 2013 01:23 PM
Low voltage on Drivers side window Electronics hondo 3 1122 7th April 2013 10:24 PM
What is the drag link end ball joint Steering and Suspension Incubus1980 2 8672 10th November 2010 08:38 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome