Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Not a Renault, but still a question. .... mot & wheels

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 24th September 2013
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Not a Renault, but still a question. .... mot & wheels

There are some..unclean unclean! pdf files online from british tyre and wheel suppliers..or something like that .
No not the wheeltappers and shunters social club .
Theres a lot of recommendations/regs.
Ive been checking around not so much for MOT/NCT but for general handling and the like.

Not actual regs that I could find, but wider tyres supposed to be allways fitted on the back, even if fwd ..something to do with understeer,unless the car had tyres like that oem..
Wheel sizes(diameter. dunno.
The bodywork thing,is like a straight edged ruler or plumbline down from the top of the wheelarch/mudguard thru the centreline of the wheel, with wheels in straight ahead position and the tyre or wheel cant touch it.

That doesnt mean the rest of the bodywork has to be outside the tyre.
I suppose thats to accomodate caterham 7's n so on
General stuff.. back wheels are supposed to have the most tread. When getting 2 new tyres ,Ive read..even if the backs are half worn. Your supposed to put the new tyres on the back and backs on the front ,shrug.even on fwd cars.

Reason.. something about 1. aquaplaning.not much point in having your steering/power wheels nice n happy, if the back end breaks away first.. and also something to do with over/understeer.

Me .. Im just gonna chance the 235/35 on the front and leave the 225/35 on the back.
The backs are hardly worn.. 1.5 mm maybe,besides I just wanna see if the larger ones will definitely fit on front.

There are other regs online too, like australia..things about not differing from oem widths n sizes more than 5%.
I dont know if any of that applies to MOT, but there should be a full set of MOT regs would think?
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
The Following User Says Thank You to coup For This Useful Post:
VelSatisfied (24th September 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome