Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Knock Over Bumps*fixed with how to and pictures*

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 4th December 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Thanks to all for the replies

I had the same problem it was only noticable over bumps etc, turned out it was the heat shield for the exhaust.
That was the thing the Renault mechanic said and he fiddled with it but it made very little difference.

Have checked the exhaust mountings? A broken clip or bracket could cause the system or silencer box to knock against the underside
I did grap hold of it and give it a tug but there was no movement. Will double check though.

davebee Hi,
This sounds very similar to another Scenic we had in our workshops last week. The reason for the noises/vibrations turned out to be the top 'fluid' engine mounting. It had partially collapsed and had allowed the metal part of the mount to contact the bodywork. Repair was very simple. We removed the top mount (attached to the cylinder head) and shimmed the top of fluid mount with a thick washer. This increased the clearance of the mount/bodywork and the problem was cured.
Hmmm, I wonder if this could possibly be the case with mine...
Where exactly was it touching the body? were the marks clearly visable???
Is it the mount that with the bonnet open looking from the front, the mount is the upper right hand above the cambelt???
I did noticed that i could get hold of the aluminium part of the mount and move the engine by hand more than I though I should have been able to. Perhaps under the loading of the bump on the road its enough to move it to touch the bodywork....
Any pointers of where to look for any signs very much appreciated.

Currently in cosrush's garage:
2002 (52) Renault Scenic 1.9Dti Fidji
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome