Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What to ask of a Panelbeater for this repair?

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 30th September 2013
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: What to ask of a Panelbeater for this repair?

Hi there.

That is actually quite a large repair area, mainly because it's the full width of the sill itself that has been buckled.

It is possible to repair the panel, but it would be quite involved, and would involve drilling holes to allow a slide hammer (with self-tapping bolt) access to pull the panel into as good an original shape as possible, grind it back, then apply a skim of filler, smooth & shape, etch primer, then primer then stoneguard paint, then basecoat followed by lacquer. Possibly painting the entire sill as trying to match fresh with 13 year old paint - is nigh on impossible (unless working off paint cards).

If it's a box-section, then drilling some holes shouldn't create any rust issues, as long as it isn't left exposed for any prolonged period of time, and the paintwork is reinstated. (It's effectively being sealed-up again).

You'll be without your car for a couple of days for a proper job to be done.

Did the garage have a 2 or 4-post lift? As I agree, it definitely shows signs of compression/deformation due to incorrect lifting, but I would expect a regular trolley jack to leave stepped indentations in the metal - this looks very smooth, with the paintwork itself unbroken. I'd suspect that either someone has been in a hurry and not lined up the feet for the lift properly, or someone has nudged one out of place just before the car was raised.

Personally, I'd opt for the repair of existing sill rather than replacement (if corrosion is one of your major concerns), as you are potentially opening-up all along what seems a sound panel, and in my opinion - throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Rest assured - this isn't going to be a 'cheap repair' for him - either way.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome