Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What to ask of a Panelbeater for this repair?

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 30th September 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: What to ask of a Panelbeater for this repair?

Hi Renoir White

Thanks for your thoughts. Insurance to cover said mechanic's safe custody and duty of care towards customers' vehicles is at this time unknown.

My choice to use his services was not taken lightly. The local authorised Renault service agents have a rather patchy reputation with myself and acquaintances.

There has been another individual whom I have known for longer than 30 years and whose services I have used a few times in the past and he was my first choice to replace the camshaft dephaser. This was until I discovered the disappearance from my car of a set of newish NGK sparkplugs I fitted myself less than a year ago.

In the course of troubleshooting the car's non- starting the last few days just prior to the dephaser job, I wanted to inspect the condition of the sparkplugs and to my astonishment, I found a set of sooty and knackered Renault-branded plugs fitted inplace of the NGK's I fitted.

I sent this person an email about the matter and predictably - he denied nicking plugs from my car.

It was on this discovery, that I decided to try the mechanic responsible for the damage to my vehicle.

The latter mechanic did mention to me on Saturday morning when he visited - that he had an acquaintance who was a panel beater and asked for pics of the damage which I emailed to him yesterday. I am however extremely reluctant to let him have my car again after what happened.

I have made some other enquiries with a panelbeater known to me and who has done satisfactory minor work on my R25 as well as the Laguna. He will be coming to see me at home tomorrow.

I have also directed an enquiry to a franchised panelbeating concern and await their opinion and response.

Regarding rust: I have owned Renault vehicles since the early 60's and am aware of the earlier models' propensity to rust so I have kept a close watch on the Laguna and have only spotted minor rust on the door catches which I have recently cleaned with a wire brush on my lathe and 1 small rust spot on one of the bootlid's struts and that's all I could find.

In the meantime, I look forward to receiving some more informed opinions regarding the problem and will post again soon once I know which way to go forward.

Currently in 11TXE's garage:
2000 Renault Laguna RXT

Last edited by 11TXE; 30th September 2013 at 02:22 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome