Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What to ask of a Panelbeater for this repair?

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 30th September 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: What to ask of a Panelbeater for this repair?

Hi Paul

Nice to meet you and many thanks for your kind reply.

The person responsible for this works from his home. After diagnosing that the camshaft dephaser was responsible for the starting problem (diagnostics done in my garage) on Wednesday last week, it was agreed that the vehicle be towed the following morning to his home workshop.

The person duly arrived the next morning and with him came two youngsters to give him a hand with towing. As I needed to go to another place in the same direction as his workshop, the mechanic offered to give me a lift and one of the youngsters controlled my car during the towing.

All went well and along the way, the mech asked me if I would like to see his workshop and where he lives, and I agreed. A nice touch, I thought at the time.

We got there without incident but I didn't see any 4-post lift so they must have used a trolley jack and hopefully with a rubber block between that and the jack's saddle, or ramps.

Incredibly, the car was brought back to me the following morning with a new dephaser fitted. This was last Friday, without notice and without even a chance to draw the balance of what I owed him for the job.

It was raining heavily at the time of delivery and he was in a hurry apparently to deliver another customer's car so I arranged to deliver the balance of the bill later that day.

As soon as he left, I looked at my car and saw the damage and called him about it but could get no answer from him as to how it happened. In fact, he pleaded total ignorance during this discussion.

On Saturday morning, he visited here and looked surprised when he saw the damage. I asked him if one of his youngster helpers wasn't responsible but he said no.

So the entire episode of how this happened and why on the lefthand side, is still a mystery.

I simply cannot accept that what appears to be an experienced (Renault) mechanic capable of fitting a camshaft dephaser and competent in using Renault diagnostic software, can make such a boo-boo with a jack on the opposite side of where he was supposed to work. Afterall, most cars have jacking locations and cannot be lifted on bodywork.

A new dephaser was indeed fitted as he brought back the old part - without having to ask him for it.

Anyway, your advice has been very welcome and I'm much obliged to you and Independent Renault Forums UK.

I will let the guys know of the outcome of all of this.

Currently in 11TXE's garage:
2000 Renault Laguna RXT

Last edited by 11TXE; 30th September 2013 at 02:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 11TXE For This Useful Post:
VelSatisfied (30th September 2013)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome