Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What I hate about driving...

View Single Post
post #246 of (permalink) Old 4th December 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to matt_dci
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post

3) Not so much bad driving, but I've not seen anything like it before. White Merc Sprinter doing 90+ in the outside lane when traffic permits (nothing unusal about that) but when I was sitting behind it, I could see right along the driver's side. Looking underneath, I could see the left front wheel to the right of the left rear wheel, but the right front wheel also to the right of the right rear. The van appeared to be travelling at a good 5-10 degrees from a straight line.

I don't know what had happened to this vehicle. Cosmetically, it looked fine, but surely it can't have felt right to drive. I doubt very much that it was safe for 90+ on the motorway.
We had something similar with a Sprinter van at work a year or so ago!
Was a Sprinter with Luton body that the firm had owned from new (was on an R plate) and had'nt been involved in any sort of accident.
But when viewed from behind you could clearly see the front and back wheels were out of line, and whilst driving it there was an ominous clunk from the rear.

Turned out that the rear axle bolts had worked loose and were causing the axle to twist slightly

Currently in matt_dci's garage:
2008 Citroen Grand Picasso 1.6 VTR+ & 2009 '09' Merc Vito 109 CDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome