Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Changing light bulb Clio III* Fixed*

View Single Post
post #49 of (permalink) Old 30th September 2013
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Changing light bulb Clio III* Fixed*

Hi sambartle

Thanks for your very useful post. You make it sound easy, or you have lots of experience on working on cars....and yes, I have been reading on how to change these pesky darn bulbs (which has killed my hands!!), because it has aircon, so this pipe has shaved some skin off the back of my right hand!!!

It seems the passenger side bulb-replacement is going to be hell to play.....???!!!

You also mentioned the (original) Osram spec, which is on my car, too (I have the Clio III, Sept 2009) - 12V 55W H7U - what is th "U" for? No-one lists their bulb with this letter, but only as H7, or H4, etc...???

(Attached is the one I bought from Halfords - ONLY 12!!!! ).

Originally Posted by sambartle View Post
Just in the middle of doing mine and its actually not too bad once you get your head around the tight space you have to work in.

If you don't have Air-Con the driver side is actually fairly easy (once you know how) to replace all the front bulbs without taking the car apart.

The Passenger side however requires tiny arms and some luck to get to them but can be done.

The main and high beams require you to grab a little rubber tab, and the back of the rubber covers and just pull to release the covers.

After that there's wires exposed.. if you feel along the wire to the bulb holder you'll come to some plastic.. you have to grip it on its long edges and just pull it gently straight back (away from the bulb into the engine bay) to release it.

After that the bulbs can just be eased out backwards.

To replace the bulbs the 'keyed' bit of the bulb points towards the sky (assuming you haven't rolled the car in anger at the stupid bulb access layout)

Then you just feel for the prongs.. and that lets you figure out which way the plastic holder goes back on.. shove it gently and itll lock into place.. then whack the cap back on and you are sorted!

For my car at least the main beams are: H7 55W (Osram's H7U as Standard), I've not checked the others but I will do if anyone wants to know (or check on Halfords website)

I'll try and upload a photo I took in order to work out the alignment and how to get the clips off if anyone thinks that would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0147.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	26153  
Currently in reevo's garage:
L-reg Volvo 850 SE Auto 42k miles on the clock (serviced by me and immaculate!)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome