Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What to ask of a Panelbeater for this repair?

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 30th September 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: What to ask of a Panelbeater for this repair?

Hello again, Paul

I did a bit of errr...'internet research' last night to see what local panelbeaters have to offer.

I got two quotes today - Quote 1 was for ZAR100 (+-10UKP) less than what I still owe the mechanic. The person is known to me and has done satisfactory repairs to both my R25 and the Laguna.

He explained he will have to cut into a section of the sill for tool access and weld it up again afterwards. I hope you don't mind but I asked him to read your advice and he was quite good-humoured about it, saying what you recommended was exactly what he would do as well.

A bit of more googling brought me to a local franchised auto body repair organisation with about 40 franchised branches. Their website allows email for quotes and I sent them some pics, asking for a quote.

The manager called me this afternoon and I asked him how they would repair the dent. According to him, they would spotweld attaching points for hydraulic pulling apparatus and drill no holes or cut metal to effect repairs.

So my choice is for this method and I hope to take the Laguna there tomorrow, if I can reach an agreement with the Renault mech.

I have sent him the two quotes earlier this evening and hope he doesn't play games or become stroppy about the matter.

As it is, I hold ZAR3'100 here in cash for him which he was in too much of a hurry to collect. I have already paid him ZAR2'200 for the dephaser + new cambelt kit.

I haven't heard from him since Saturday morning and will have to use the ZAR3'100 I owe him and apply that to pay the panelbeaters. As it is, I will still be ZAR377 out of pocket but will just have to write it off.

If he doesn't respond by tomorrow, I plan to send him an email, advising him that I am going to have my car repaired and will not be settling the balance I owe him.

In a way I feel sorry for the bloke as he is a small businessman as I am too - but we all have to pay dues to the school of hard knocks.

I will keep the thread updated and thank you once more for your kind advice and attention.

Currently in 11TXE's garage:
2000 Renault Laguna RXT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome