Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Wheels and Tyres - Tyre Pressure Sensors - Member experiences and solution

View Single Post
post #56 of (permalink) Old 21st October 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Karlos
It seem to me that the more complex they make new cars, then the less we can do to fix little problems, except take it down to the main stealers.
It's getting pretty ridiculous when you're not even allowed to change lightbulbs. On my first Laguna, you could change all of the front bulbs yourself (though the number plate bulbs at the back were a pig to get at - the whole of the boot lid trim had to come off.) Then on the facelifted one, you could change the (halogen) headlamps, but the front fog lights were a 'refer to dealer' item. On the Laguna II (with Xenons) both the headlights and fog lights are 'refer to dealer' meaning that if I have a headlight fail, I have to drive the car illegally until I can get it booked in. I know they're all possible to DIY, but if you follow the handbook to the letter, they're a dealer job.
Looking on the other hand, its very clever to put as much technological electronics into our cars so we can only turn to our beloved and trustworthy dealers, as nowhere else has the correct diagnostic computer. They just plug into our car, press a few buttons and its fixed...."that will be 40 sir", all for three clicks of a mouse.

Very Clever and very lucrative. Thats what we call progress. LOL
You sir are a terrible cynic. Just like me

At least they've now all been forced to standardise on the OBDII connector. Though the software itself is definitely non-standard. Apparently the connector supports three separate protocols (the manufacturers couldn't agree on which one to use) and only the most expensive units support all three.

The RAC man has murder with mine because the 2.0 IDE engine isn't listed on his computer. None of the other options seem to work properly, although he did manage to get a fault code out of the ECU (no.2 injector going open circuit I think) using one of the other engine configurations.

It's a shame, because if it really was a proper standard, we'd be able to use something like this for around 100 at current exchange rates.
It still claims to handle all of the 'generic parameters' (I assume they're the ones that are common to all makes and models) so it could still be of some interest, though I doubt it'll do things like tyre pressure reprogramming.
There's a Palm version too, that would be even funkier assuming that you have a compatible Palm OS device.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome