Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Yet another GRand Scenic Electronic Parking Brake Problem

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 7th October 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Yet another GRand Scenic Electronic Parking Brake Problem

Hello, new to the forum and looking for some advice. I've read the FAQ and seen lots of related threads but nothing which completely answers my problem. In common with lots of other Scenic owners, I'm having electronic parking brake problems. Here's a summary:
  • The unit appears to be working as I can hear the motor operating and there is movement at both calipers.
  • When the parking brake is operated, the lever on the calipers on both sides move but both then stick & don't release. I've tried pulling the emergency release then resetting the brakes, doesn't fix it.
  • The lever on the nearside caliper travels much further than the offside (offside locks after about 1/2" movement, nearside travels much further and touches end stop but even at full travel doesn't lock the wheel).
  • Both of the parking brake caliper levers brake feel stiff even after applying WD40.
  • The offside caliper was replaced earlier this year (at garage) and isn't the same as the nearside one (the offside one has an external spring, nearside doesn't. I don't think the nearside spring is missing as I can't see anywhere where one could be fitted), could this be the problem?
  • Whilst tinkering with the offside caliper, I wondered if the piston was correctly wound. Gave it a couple of turns clockwise (using long nose pliers) & it didn't move, gave it a turn anti-clockwise and it moved out 1/2" and now I can't wind it back. I've ordered the proper tool to wind it back but have I knackered it?
Any suggestions welcome! I'm thinking I should rewind the pistons on both sides then try resetting the brakes. The difference in the travel of the levers is making me think that I need to replace one (or both) of them.

As an aside, with the emergency parking brake operated the foot brake pedal feels spongy, is this normal? Does the parking brake affect the position of the piston? The car isn't being used at the mo but I'll bleed the brakes after I get the parking brake sorted.
Currently in murdom's garage:
2007 Renault Grand Scenic 1.6
  5 Lastest Threads by murdom
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Yet another GRand Scenic Electronic Parking Brake... Brakes/Hubs greavey 2 1391 7th October 2013 08:43 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome