Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Wheels and Tyres - Tyre Pressure Sensors - Member experiences and solution

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Hunters
If you have metal caps on the valve take them off and replace with plastic caps. The metal ones corode on welding themselves to the valve stem. If that happens then you have got a problem.
That's the best piece of advice you can give any Laguna II owner. I've suffered from corroded metal caps twice. First time round was a bit of a surprise, but the second I should have known better. The fitters had put metal caps on (because they look nicer with the alloys) and I kept putting off sorting it because I was thinking "they can't have corroded on yet." Around six weeks later I got around to doing it - got one off, but broke the valve stem on the other and had to use the spare. If you have metal valve caps, go outside and take them off this minute! Don't wait until you get around to buying plastic ones, because it may be too late (assuming that it isn't already.) Some might disagree, but I'd rather leave the valves capless than risk the metal ones corroding on.

It's not so much the expense as the hassle. My last two new tyres took a day and a half to get sorted thanks to the pressure sensors. The actual sensor also has a habit of separating on the inside of the wheel, throwing the wheels well out of balance. I thought someone must have warped a wheel on my car because the steering was vibrating so badly, even after balancing. It turned out that the sensor unit was loose inside the wheel, and adding weight to it wherever it happened to be sitting at any given time.

But worst of all is the fact that a sensor fault makes Carminat practically unusable - you lose 1/3 of the map! But then the whole multi-function LCD display thing is badly thought out. There is a way to disable the system (the dealer has done it for me before when they didn't have time to fix the fault) but they won't tell me how to do it. Maybe it needs the diagnostic computer, or maybe they just don't want to give anything away. They told me I'd have to take my car back when they forgot to reset the service interval, but that was sorted simply by pressing a button!
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome