Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Need Advice please - should i keep or should i sell?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th October 2013 Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Unhappy Need Advice please - should i keep or should i sell?

Hi All,

Im New to this forum.

Heres my predicament.

I bought a renault grand scenic 2005 1.6vvt 7 seater around a year ago on hire purchase for £2600. In feb of this year i was hit with force in the rear by an uninsured driver. While the police and insurance company were investigating (terrible job they were doing of that) i was hit in the rear again while que'ing to leave an asda car park. This time the driver admitted responsibilty and so i contacted the insurance company. They acknowledged the claim and called me back to say that the other driver accepted responsibility and they would contact me on how to progress. I waited a month and there was no contact. I called them and was told that the 2nd claim had been closed and they were concentrating on recovering costs of the first claim. This was in August - 7months after the accident and with them knowing that they could not find the driver responsible. They directed me to to a garage to get the damage assessed. Bearing in mind i drove from nottingham to poland in the 7 months i was waiting for the claim to be sorted with no hiccups. The damge to the car was dint in the rear door, damaged number plate (still readable), the clamp that hold the spare wheel in place was broken and the rest is minor body damage (the fibreglass strip under the bumper cracked and hangs down. The garage quoted £4000 for it to be repaired so the insurance company want to write the car off.

The amount they want to give me is not enough to pay for the car (clear HP).

They have given me the option to keep the car at a deduction of £300 to what they will give for writing off the car.

What i need to know folkes is - do i keep this car or do i sell it and get a banger for £600.

I took the scenic for an MOT test expecting it to fail on something that has happened in the accident - It Failed, but on nothing to do with the accident.

The car failed on -
Front and Read pads worn.
Electronic handbreak on right read wheel is exerting little or no pressure.
the paint rear indicator bulbs is burning away.

Advisorys are
Oil Leak
Coolant leak
Tires getting worn
body work bit damaged.

Things i have noticed - electronic dash occasionally does not turn on when entering the car. A small wallop above the dash gets it started everytime so i think this could be a connection error or something to do with the door trigger - i dont think it is a full failure like i have read about.
When starting the car i HAVE to give it a rev and keep it at about 1000 revs for about 2 seconds ot the engine will cut out - starts first time but need to rev it.
I looked for where the oil is comming from and it seems to be the right side of the engine about a quarter way down from top. I have checked the exhaust for white smoke and seem to get a small amount for about 30 secs to a minute then it seems to dissapear - if i rev the engine heavily i get it again for about 10 secs and it dissapears - there was also water coming out the end of the pipe so i take the white smike to be steam as it is not that thick.

I can get this car through its MOT for £500 say the garage (this is because they want to also change the disks and because the rear handbreak is a nightmare), that will NOT sort the oil leak or coolant leak (which i think is from the air con).
I would then have to pay £566 to pay of the car and £41 for a vosa check (as the insurance will write it off as cat D)

So in all thats £1107 for the grande scenic to be road worthy but still with the oil and coolant leak and the body damage (i do not mind the body damage nor living without air con - i am however a little worried about the oil leak tho).

It will also need taxing end of next month.

My other option is to pay £200 to HP and let the insurance take the car. I would then be looking for another car in the price range of £600-£700. My concerns with this is that i will not be able to get an 05 model nor will i be able to pick up a family car as large as the scenic. It would have to be 5 seats (as this is all ive seen) and i am no mechanic so would not be able to tell the reliability from the car from a test drive.

Is there anyone with experience who could suggest what i should do???

I am only interested in keeping which ever car for 6 months to a year but do not want to have to pay out any more money in that time.

Many thanks in advance for you help and sorry for the long post.
Currently in soultrappa's garage:
2005 Renault Grand Scenic 1.6vvt
soultrappa is offline  
  5 Lastest Threads by soultrappa
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Idle Speeds on a Reanult Scenic - on startup,... Engines soultrappa 2 588 10th July 2014 03:06 PM
Im gonna smash this car - please help with engine... Engines Mike H025 31 4091 13th June 2014 10:51 AM
Need Advice please - should i keep or should i... Cars & motoring soultrappa 16 2446 9th October 2013 11:32 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome