Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna 2 Door Mirror

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 8th December 2006
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
Hi Mick, I carry out many such small repairs to cars. What I would suggest is to leave the casing on the car, and not to try to separate it (I've never found it necessary to do so, and sure as fate - you will break/lose a plastic clip).

I would suggest the following;
1. Has the plastic been damaged? Most of the time, the scraping has came from the other car/object, so if the plastic hasn't been gouged - give the casing a light rub with an abrasive such as rubbing compound or 'T'-cut.
2. If the plastic has been gouged, then it is not always necessary to fill it - a sanding block (or orbital sander if you have one) and using progressively finer paper will level the surface. If it is necessary to fill, then a fibreglass filler (such as Plastic Padding) is best for this type of repair.
3. Lightly key (or Scotch pad) the remainder of the casing.
4. Wipe area with a soft cloth to remove all loose debris.
5. Mask off areas that you don't want to paint - using newspaper to cover the doors/windows.
6. Lightly dust the casing with primer - don't spray too close or heavy to avoid runs (allow 20-30 mins between coats).
7. Lightly rub primed area with fine wet & dry (800 grit or higher), then wipe with a soft cloth.
8. Again, using a similar method as with the primer - spray the colour on the casing - lightly covering the casing spraying left-right or right-left (whichever is easiest). I say similar, because you will want the paint to be applied slightly heavier than the primer, so either spray from a little nearer or use a slightly slower sweeping motion (do not use both!) otherwise you will get runs.
9. If the paintwork is metallic, then you will need to apply lacquer - 2 coats work best, the first coat is nothing more than a light dusting, then after 20 mins or so, a second heavier, glossy coat is applied, again, as with stage 8, a similar method for painting is recommended.
10. If it is a non-metallic (solid) colour miss out stage 9, and after a day, give the casing a light rub with 'T'-cut, then a polish.

Needless to say, I would only recommend painting indoors. You will find using a hairdrier useful for drying the paint off between coats - but only use it from a distance in a sweeping motion.

Hope this helps you - sorry if I have gone into an unnecessary amount of detail.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome