Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane II rear brakes

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10th October 2013 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Megane II rear brakes

Hi all,

Haven't posted in a while, but now I need some help. I bought a used Megane II 2007 Grandtour. The rear brakes looked terrible from the start (too much rust on outer and inner sides of the discs + the pads are almost done). I still haven't changed them as I would like to ask someone more experienced what he thinks.

During the first week one of the rear brakes blocked - it was driven that way for some kms until I saw it and my right disc is now red. I have managed to unblock it by pulling the handbrake up and down couple of times. I am not really sure what caused this binding so that would be my first question - what could have caused it?

Second, I would like to purchase new set of discs/pads - I had Zimmermann before and they are not the best solution. There is always OEM, but I read here couple of times that Renault brake discs are not that good (I also know this from experience - couple of renaults we had and always used OEM - all of them eventually had problems with rear discs). So I was thinking ATE, as they were always good, but the problem is the ABS ring - I have read that aftermarket parts have issues with this, although ATE is quite an expensive aftermarket, so in theory it shouldn't, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with this?

Third - I would not want to fit new brakes and then find out that they blocked the next day, so maybe I should change the handbrake cables as well? Not sure if binding has anything to do with cables or there are return springs in calipers which went bad? Anyone knows this?

Every reply appreciated!
Currently in jimmy274's garage:
2007 Renault Megane II 1.6 16v Grandtour
  5 Lastest Threads by jimmy274
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Megane II rear brakes Brakes/Hubs jimmy274 7 2717 10th October 2013 02:50 PM
Megane 2 1.6 16v engine type Engines cph1984 3 1094 7th July 2013 11:59 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome