Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Central locking affected by cold weather?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 23rd October 2005
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I've a similar problem with my 2000 Espace - could use same electronics as 1999 Laguna. Key fob (with new batteries) will cause the dash LED to flash on cold morning - but will not activate central locking. Agreed that car battery voltage will be lower when cold - be very surprised if this is what is causing fault.

Switch inside car causes central locking to operate with normal positive "clunk". On cool mornings (ie not cold) my key fob just about manages to operate central locking. Whatever device lies between the key-fob receiver and the "wire" to operate the central-locking seems temperature sensitive.

Wish I could find some circuit diagrams that covered this bit of the car's electrics. It may be very obvious then what component is at fault - relay or switching transistor. Finding it near impossible to get some Espace JEON Ciircuit Diags. Can anyone suggest a source?

Originally Posted by Dark Jupiter
Last Sunday I spent the afternoon in rolling hills of the countryside here near the artic. It was a little cold, about 2 degrees Celsius. I parked the car on a hill about 200 metres high.

When I left the car I locked it from the remote, no problems. When I returned about 4 hours later I tried to open it but it refused to do so? The LED on the remote flashed on each time I pressed it but the car remained locked. I had to resort to the manual key to get access in through the drivers door and then unlock the rest of the doors from the central locking switch on the console.

By deduction it appears as though the remote is ok, the central locking mechanics function ok but the remote sensor is affected by drops in temperature.

I am very concerned as 2 degrees Celsius is not that cold for up here (a fresh day one could say) but it will soon be -10 to -20 and what will happen then.

I will keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will look at insulating the sensor to see if that improves its operation.

Has anybody ever encountered a similar problem with this model Laguna?

Currently in ianb's garage:
Espace 1.9 CDi 07
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome