Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #240 of (permalink) Old 8th December 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Meesh View Post
Vass20 excellent reply thank you for the information. As we speak my lawyers have put a claim into Renault for my excess, bonnet clip and compensation for my injuries. I can guarantee I will not let this drop until it reaches a satisfactory conclusion.
I was not aware that you had suffered injuries. Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you were injured, and secondly, this has, in my opinion, just become more serious than ever. I opined a long time ago that it was only a matter of time before someone suffered injury and similarly before someone is killed by a collision resulting from a bonnet flying open; let me at least hope that the latter has not already happened and that I am wrong to think that it will happen. I wonder if bereaved families would be looking for reasons why their dear one had left his life in a mangled heap of metal that had been purchased because of the assurances received about its safety merits. I doubt very much if their grieving mood would prompt them to go googling on the Internet for a forum discussing bonnet-catch failure. I suppose Renault can remain smug in the knowledge that grieving families will have other things on their mind immediately after such an avoidable incident. But if this ever happened, I will expect people in high places to be charged with manslaughter and to receive custodial sentences.

As I write this a Freedom of Information request is on its way to VOSA. This weekend I will be writing a letter to Stuart Jenkins and copying in the CEO. I will put a copy of the letter and any response on this website.
Sadly, the FoI act allows whoever to hide behind curtains of pretence. I had similar if not stronger rights to personal information held by Norwich Union about me and wanted to know what this might be, given that they had chosen to treat me like they would a criminal in the same matter of the stolen car. Their response was that as I was considering taking them to court, they were within their right to refuse me this information until the disclosure stage had been reached; and they sent me my cheque back.
Believe you me, Macchiavelli was a novice compared to these entities. I hope you are more successful than I was.

I am disgusted at VOSA's attitude and the attitudes along the way of everyone who seems to be afraid of taking on Renault and their legal department. I will not let Renault get away with this because they could have cost me my life so I will not be palmed off.
Again I make a comparison with my claim against DVLA. I put it to the CEO that it had become apparent that individuals within his offices had somehow allowed the registration of a stolen vehicle; given my submitted findings within the lengthy correspondence exchanged, was it not apparent to him that a serious investigation needed to be initiated to determine how this had been done, given the safety measures that had not been complied with. I asked him if he could exclude the possibility that there was corruption at his front offices and whether he could discount the possibility that the agency had been infiltrated by criminals.

If my memory serves me right, further reference to my questions was avoided but they had not even reported the fraud to the police despite having ascertained the identity of the perpetrator. I insisted they forward their information to the authorities who themselves refused to act (citing lack of resources) until much later because I would not leave the matter be. Of course by then, the fraudsters had departed and surprisingly did not leave a forwarding address.
This cannot happen with Renault of course because they cannot hide away like common criminals can. But it does seem like they have a lot of clout when dealing with VOSA.

Does anybody know if there are statistics kept of what cars have what type of accidents and how many people have been injured in one-car accidents (although there will be no guarantee that it would remain a one-car accident) that haven't been explained? It makes me wonder how we are going to find out if anyone has been killed in an unexplained Clio accident. Would the police release their engineers' report on the probable cause of a fatal accident? Would the damage suffered by the bonnet hinges give away the reason to an investigative engineer? (Sorry about the rhetoric!!)

My lawyers have given Renault 20 days to respond so keep an eye out in the New Year.

May I submit here that it is not beneficial to the site for numbers not to be known because of a tendency to PM rather than post. Naturally, if there are personal details they need not be published but the more people there are known to have suffered this failure, the stronger the case becomes and if nothing else, it might secure a moral victory in that the company will have to admit its faults and compensate the victims. Most victims have lost their No-Claims Discount and excess amounts.

So please post rather than PM.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who has already shown their support.
Please do let us know what progress is made.

P.S. How did Brigatti's case pan out in the end?
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome