Join Date: Apr 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't know if this is the same problem, but I recently had an issue with the driver door lock - the solienoid stopped working.....
Decided to have a go at fixing it, but eventually had to replace it with one from the scrappies.
You have to remove the trim from the inside of the door. There are five(i think) screws. two were hidden by the speaker grill(prise off). One screw was in the inner door handle, and a couple in the bottom of the panel. The panel has then to be gently prise outwards to break the sticky seal, and then lifted to lift the top out of the window seal. You also have to unclip the inner door handle from the door panel and push it through it's own opening.
I left the speaker, and electrics for it connected, and placed the panel on the ground. Inside my door was a black waffled panel(purpose I do not know - possible noise reduction) which clips out. To remove the actual lock there are three screws(torx - but all the screws are) on the door jam. Once removed, you have to jiggle the lock about, as there are two prongs that come from the key barrel, that have to be got around. It very tight. Oh, the elecrtics are just a push fit connection, easy to disconnect.
Replacement is the opposite. Make sure you have the correct type - there are two(i got the wrong type first time) one has a wire connecting it to the inner door handle, the other a metal rod. they are not compatable. When you get the lock from the scappie keep the inner door handle connected - it makes the job so much easier!
The replacement has to be manovered, so that the stub on it, matchs the prongs on the key barrel(still on door). line lock up and screw onto door jam,, push the inner door handle through it's opening in the panel, and replace waffle and panel.
Don't do what I did - and forget to connect the electrics!.
The job is very fiddly, and you'll porbably lose some skin off you knuckles, but will probably be able to do it all in under an hour.
By the time I got the second(correct) lock, I had it down to 30 minutes.
Currently in Malabtech's garage:
Megane 1.4 16v