Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 97 laguna 2.0 8v rxe problem

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 9th December 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I was holding out for one of the proper experts to reply because I'm a bit out of my depth here, but the following might be better than nothing.

Probably your best bet is to disconnect both coils and compare resistances of both the primary and secondary windings. If neither is open circuit and both show approximately the same resistance, then chances are they're both good enough to start the engine (though they may still go faulty when warmed up) and your fault lies elsewhere.

Next, I'd be inclined to bite the bullet and buy a new TDC sensor. They're not painfully expensive, and it's quite possible that the old one is completely dead.

If you're not prepared to take the gamble on the TDC , then maybe there's some way you can check for a pulse going in on the LT side of the coils when the engine is cranked. Even a 12v test lamp might do the trick.
If you get the pulse, then the ECU and TDC are okay. That'd put the fault back into the domain of coils , plugs and HT leads.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome