Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Instrument diagnostic

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2005 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by SportTourer
I've heard of this trick before, apparently it also tells you what software version is installed on the car.
I didn't realise it gave the software version. Maybe some of the displays will make more sense with that in mind. I'll give it another go.

Originally Posted by SportTourer
When do you get the new 05 Lag ? You'll have to let us know what its like. Whether they have improved on older versions or not? I haven't made my mind up if I like the new style front grille or not yet.
I should have it already, but I'm going for the new 130bhp Euro IV 1.9dCi and apparently they've had some problems with the ECU software and delayed the release, probably until October. The 120bhp Euro III is available now, but if I wait, I get 10 extra BHP and as it's a company car, I get to keep a few more quid for the pub rather than lining Gordon Brown's pockets.

I had a good look round a new Privilege at our local dealer while mine was in for MOT. This one had the new full screen Carminat as an option (it's standard on the Initiale) and I was interested in seeing just how much they'd improved it. They have, in leaps and bounds, but my TomTom GO certainly won't be going on eBay any time soon, as it still knocks the spots off Carminat.

They wouldn't let me drive it, but they did let me start it up and play with the electronic parking brake. It seems to work well, but I wonder how well it will cope doing a hill start with a whopping great caravan on the back. I'm also concerned that I'll get too used to it, and then fail to put the handbrake on when I borrow someone else's car. The quality of the interior seems to have improved a great deal, and the instrument cluster is much more nicely presented. What struck me as odd was the 'touchy feely' control panel that they've put where the handbrake used to be - the idea being that you can work the controls by feel alone without taking your eyes off the road. Great idea, but why didn't they do the same with the climate control system while they were at it? Instead, they've kept the old controls, where you have to cycle through the settings with a button and keep checking the LCD display to see if you're on the right one.

I'm told that most of the quality control problems have been ironed out, which has to be a good thing, as my current Laguna has been by far the least reliable car I've ever had.

As for the front end, I'm still getting used to the way they've 'Meganified' it. I've nothing against the Megane, but everything against this trend for all cars from the same manufacturer to look the same. Still, at least you can tell the two apart: I can't even tell the difference between a new Fiesta and new Focus until they're close enough to judge from the size. If anything about the new car offends me, it's the changed rear light clusters: If you're going to do round 'afterburner' lights (which are, let's face it, old hat now anyway) then you do it with the side/brake and rear fog lights, not the reversing lights. The new, stretched out L A G U N A branding on the boot doesn't appeal to me either, but considering the A dropped off my current car the second time I washed it, I doubt the new badges are stuck on that well.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome