Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 2 - Tourer Roofbar Info

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 26th July 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by SportTourer
Thanks - I am seriously considering doing that. I am going to Halfrauds tomorrow, ask them to fit and then remove bars, and then when they can't do it I'll ask for my money back.
I only went for thule because I thought that once I had the bars I would only ned to replace the fitting kits to allow them to fit other cars.
That was my line of thinking, but if I recall correctly, the official Renault bars don't cost much more than the Thule fitting kits. If you change cars, you can always flog your old bars on eBay or in the Loot.

Having said that, there are aspects of the Renault bars I'm not happy with. The rubber feet invariably fall off when the bars are stored, and my idea of 'locking' roof bars is to have one of at least a few dozen permutations of key, not something that's effectively just a five-sided version of an allen key. In theory, you can't remove the bars if the car's doors are locked, but with a bit of brute force and no consideration for the paintwork, I'm sure you could get them off with just the winding handle.

Even with the doors open, it's still far too easy to scratch the paintwork when fitting and removing them, though that's specific to the hatch and is more down to the design of the mounting points on the car, so the Thule bars are probably just as bad. The fixed roof rails should mean that this isn't a problem on the sport tourer.

But on the whole, they're well made, quick and easy to fit and remove (much more so than the cheap Halfords ones I had for the last car) and they do what they were designed to do.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome