Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #249 of (permalink) Old 10th December 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Meesh View Post
My lawyer appointed was straight away [You lucky lady, you]and they had made contact with me within two days of being appointed. They have all the info and as far as I know have put a claim to Renault. I was impressed at how quickly they have acted on it all as I had heard it may be a lengthy process. I shall let you all know the reply made to my lawyer, they were given twenty days from yesterday so hopefully will have some more news early in the New Year.

Your case sounds shocking, it is unbelievable what people seem to be able to get away with these days. Glad you got some redress from the DVLA over it. That is quite an understatement, I assure you. Can you believe that a Thames Valley sergeant phoned me and proceeded to tell me off, because I complained (they had not bothered to attend the site and ask questions when the car was stolen) and said to me quite rhetorically, "What do you expect us to do? Investigate or something?" The file was then put away into the archives but I went to the police authority, the Chief Constable and said I would take the matter to my MP; they reopened the case, used the information I had already given to them and to other constabularies, determined that they now knew the supposed identity (false, of course) of the perpetrator of the false registration, but could not find him and were unable to dedicate the resources to any further action. Now that was a surprise.
Unfortunately, car theft and fraud cases do not score points in the performance tables. So innocent individuals continue to take heavy losses and criminals continue laughing all the way to the bank; and the police condone this although they will argue that point with me. They find it much easier to just let them get away with it. It seemed to me that each time I phoned or wrote to a constabulary because of their chronic inertia (relative to my own case) they had just been inundated with murders, rapes, abductions and such like, making it impossible for them to give this case any valuable resources; not even when I told them that the persons still had a Mercedes CLK cabrio with a false number plate in their possession. They did not find the CLK when they arrested them but did not bother to ask them what had become of the vehicle that the whole street could testify had been in their possession. I even found the original genuine CLK in the Isle of Wight and spoke to the owner who told me that his mother's maiden surname was the same as my male vendor's and she had a sibling who had migrated to Cheshire, (where the vendor came from).

For the sake of not being completely off-topic, I will merely say, "Don't expect much from the police if your bonnet flies open and takes the top of your head off. They may be able to recognise the evidence of bonnet-lock and safety-catch malfunction, but it would mean too many forms to fill and they haven't got the resources."

I'll leave it there before I get told off for being off-topic.
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome