Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Oldish ,car tips but maybe still relevant .

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 17th October 2013 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Oldish ,car tips but maybe still relevant .

Has anyone else experienced genuine carburettor icing?
On a road car, that is(UK /Ireland)..Ive experienced it in other forms of transport..

The tip? move your air filter hose back from the "summer" to "winter" position.

The summer/winter positionwas on older cars,summer position ,hose received air thru the grille,winter position ,the air passed over the exhaust manifold.
It was more for economy than anything else..
Carb icing shouldnt have occured in temps like ours.

Why did mine ice up?

The intake was gas flowed, the twin barrel ,2 stage carb and the throttle butterfly valves were chamferred for airflow streamlining and rejetted.The valves were like an aircraft wing in x section.

The upshot of all this(garnered from Dave Vizzards tips on how to get 300bhp from your 4 cyl ohc 2.0 engine) meant that there was a lot of air running thru a very narrow "venturi".

On a coldish ,high humidity day(with a fully warmed up engine).I got "duhh" when i pressed the accelerator on a country road.. almost like
a blocked dpf.

To cut it short, I unclipped the pancake airfilter cover,checked the intake and there were solid ice lumps
Ive never come across it before or since on a car(but do know the symptoms).
I reconnected the hose to its winter position of course,but just the fact of carb ice seemed like a vindication of my gas flowing work..

Like dr. mightnt be working as intended.. but it was working
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome