Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Oldish ,car tips but maybe still relevant .

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 18th October 2013 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 6 Times in 17 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,014 Posts
Re: Oldish ,car tips but maybe still relevant .

Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Carb icing can happen from about 3 degrees C I had a ford Fiesta that used to stop at the same place about 15 miles from start up every cold morning it used to stop in the same lay-by every time, after about 10 min it would restart and run for the rest of the day, the auto hot air device was faulty fitted a new one problem solved, on the old VW beetle when started from cold ice would form on the outside of the inlet manifold even on quite warm days.
Mine, audi 80 was just a manual, move the intake hose.
It did also have an "autochoke" chamber heated by water with a coil spring, controlling the choke, total pos.
My beetle(first car).never noticed any icing but it did have some vacuum operated air intake flap with a weight on it and the uber power of a 6 volt power supply volksprung duck technic..

Aha.. another tip dredged up..
Your car difficult to get a 6v drycell torch battery, connect it across the + and - terminals of the ht coil and with luck itll fire , the engine that is !

I allways fancied the idea of a kaufmann starter(you have to get up early for work?..make sure the neighbours do too!)
German version
Currently in coup's garage:
RM III coupe 1.5dci FVT,Audi TT Mk1 ,a bike and too much rubbish.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome